Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sidelined

Well, I've hit a roadblock.

Apparently my right foot was not ready for my increased mileage these past 5 days.

Since doing my 3.1 mile run on Friday, I've had this foot pain.  Top of my foot below my ankle.

It was bearable, but it started becoming painful once I'd finish running and start cooling down.

So, in typical Alana fashion, I ignored it.  Sunday I did 3.1 miles. Monday I did 9/1 intervals and covered 4 miles.  Tuesday it was bothering me a lot, so I switched to 5/1 intervals and did 2.5 miles.

Last night I was limping.  Putting pressure on it hurt. I tried a little ice, but it didn't help.

So I decided to call medical and they got me in this morning.  I lucked out in that a sports medicine doc was there from out of town.  He thought it was probably tendonitis, and probably not a stress fracture, but wanted me to get an x-ray.

Problem was, when I went to Radiology, no one was there. And no one could tell me when someone would be there. They told me to check back at 1pm.  That they were "probably" at lunch.  Probably?

Well I wasn't about to wait around for an hour and a half with my three kids for them to possibly re-open!

So I haven't had my x-ray yet. I will try to go tomorrow.  But the doctor will not be there tomorrow since he was only here today. Not sure who will read my results.  Sigh.

His prescription for me (pending x-ray results) was no running for a week.  :(  Cross-training on the elliptical or bike is okay.  Blah blah blah! I hate both of those machines.  LOATHE.

I'm just a tad bit annoyed totally disappointed.  I just hope it is in fact just tendonitis and I can resume running next week. I was just feeling like I was making progress in my training. 

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you have an injury :(. How old are the shoes you're running in? I've read that you're only supposed to put 300-500 (depending on your weight I believe) miles on each pair of shoes before you toss them. I tend to believe it, it seems like once my shoes hit a certain point I have a lot more aches and pains.

    I hope everything goes well tomorrow and it's a simple fix!

    Jen
    Jen.amileamemory@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm so sorry! I had a similar problem not long ago with my knees. I added too much time and speed to my miles (too quickly) and I had to take a little time off from the hard impact workouts. I know it isn't fun to take it easy, but it is worth it!

    I hope you get some good feedback today and that you are better in no time! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

I would so love to hear from you!