Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Little Engine That Could Part 2

So I decided late December that I would run a Biggest Loser Challenge on Facebook. I invited my friends and we got a group ready to start on January 5th.  I've run these challenges in the past and usually do pretty well, so I figured it would be the kick in the ass I needed to get healthy once and for all.  But when I'm done with the challenges, maintenance is always my worst enemy.

See, I have never known how to just maintain my weight. It's not just EASY for me.  I always gain it back.  So who was to say this time would be any different? 

I didn't know that my AHA moment had shown itself. I didn't know that I would use this Biggest Loser Challenge as a springboard to go above and beyond.  I like to play it safe. I set attainable goals to avoid being disappointed.

I met with a trainer at the gym on base who did a free fitness assessement - weight, calipers, inches.  I saw her every 6 weeks for the first few months.

I ended up winning the BL challenge and lost about 22 pounds in 8 weeks. I was motivated. I ran another few challenges, the last one ended about 2 weeks ago.  My starting weight was 198.  My current is 143.  I do not know when I have been this weight before, not anytime that I had a scale!  Probably high school or college. I didn't weigh myself much then. 

People have asked me how I lost the weight - I know people want a magic pill. I know people want there to be a quick fix. I know because I've lived it. I used to pore over people's Instagram's and Facebook pages and see how they lost the weight.  I knew I couldn't do any fads. No low carb, no low calorie, no gimmicks. I had to pick from different approaches and carve out a plan that worked for me.  I stuck to a lower carb plan but still eat plenty of carbs (150g per day). I try to get at least 100g of protein per day.  I limit sugar.  I work out 6 days a week.  In the beginning I was doing cardio and weights most days, then running took over my life. LOL.  I'm still running 4-5 days a week but plan to get back to weights 2-3x week next week.

So what should you do?  FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!  What is something you can sustain for the long term?  Is low-carb something you see yourself doing forever?  What is your lifestyle like?  What exercises do you like doing?  Carve out a plan that works for you that you can stick with every day.  We are all different and need different things.  For me, I LOVE running. Love it. I also love lifting, but not as much as running. Running is my ME time.  I function better when I get a run in.  I'm a better mom and a better wife. So find what makes you feel that way and run with it!

To date, I have lost 55 pounds. And I'm not done.  So stay tuned!! 

1 comment:

I would so love to hear from you!