Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Skinny Rules

Otherwise known as "The Skinny Rules!"

Picture me fist-pumping when I say Rules.

Bob Harper - of Biggest Loser fame - has a newish book out called "The Skinny Rules." I haven't read the book (for shame), but I've read a ton of other "diet" books.



I hate the word diet.

My friend Betty posted these rules for our group during The Biggest Loser challenge I put together. 

Here are The Skinny Rules: 

1. Drink large glass of water (16 oz.) before every meal and snacks--5 a day
2. Don't drink your calories--stay away from fruit juices and sodas that are high in sugar. 2 cups coffee okay
3. Eat lowfat protein at every meal--protein doesn't have to be animal based. Protein minimizes hunger.
4. Slash intake of refined flour/grains--try brown rice, quinoa, barley, farro
5. Eat 30-50 grams of fiber
6. Eat apples and berries each day
7. No carbs after lunch--eat lean and green at night. Protein and veggies are best
8. Read labels--stay away from artificial ingredients or foods that sound like bad chemistry experiments
9. Get portion size right--you can bag some portions ahead of time
10. No artificial sweeteners
11. No white potatoes
12. One day a week meatless--eat more beans and nuts
13. No fast foods and fried foods
14. Eat a real breakfast: include protein, grains and fruit (lowfat plain yogurt is great protein source)
15. Make your own food and eat at least 10 meals a week at home
16. Banish high salt foods--use more herbs
17. Eat veggies--as much as possible
18. Go to bed hungry--try not to eat after 8 p.m. or 4 hours prior to bedtime
19. Sleep Right--get adequate sleep
20. Plan one splurge meal a week--but don't go crazy with the calories, fat and sugar in it

Seems like a no-brainer, right? It sounds like something I might be able to handle in my life.  I love my white carbs though!  Such a drug they are!

I think I'm going to give it a shot though.  I need to start making better food choices. Making good choices has always been my problem, and I need to start fixing it.

Anyone followed this approach?  How did it work for you?

4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! Thank you for posting this!

    My approach is all in moderation, which seems to follow these rules. Did you read the book? Did you like it?

    I look forward to reading more from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Shannon! So happy to see a comment :D

    I totally agree with everything in moderation. I try to follow that, but I know my diet needs to be better. It's my ongoing struggle!

    I have not read the book, just the rules ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing "the rules" around a lot recently! I haven't formally tried to follow all of them, but there are definitely a few I do on my own. I should try to do them ALL more consistently though.. :) Do you think you'll get around to reading the book?

    Jen
    Jen.amileamemory@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment, Jen! I would love to read the book, I'm a big Bob Harper fan! I feel like I've read a bunch of "diet" books already and the information seems similar to Jillian's Master Your Metabolism and Jackie Warner's "This is Why You're Fat." I will definitely try to get a copy from the library!

    I read, read, read, but I need to really make the commitment to put what I read into action. I have commitment issues! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I would so love to hear from you!